Tuesday, May 7, 2019

Fantastic Beats 3 Gets a New Release Date. Production Set To Begin Next Spring


Warner Bros. Pictures officially confirmed today that the third installment in their Fantastic Beasts franchise has been delayed a year and will now open in theaters November 12, 2021.

Production is set to begin Spring 2020 with a cast that will presumably feature Eddie Redmayne (Newt Scamander), Jude Law (Albus Dumbledore), Johnny Depp (Gellert Grindelwald), Katherine Waterston (Tina Goldstein), Dan Fogler (Jacob Kowalski), Alison Sudol (Queenie Goldstein), Ezra Miller (Credence Barebone/Aurelius Dumbledore), Callum Turner (Theseus Scamander), Claudia Kim (Nagini), and William Nadylam (Yusuf Kama), amongst others.


David Yates is expected to return to the director's chair with a script from The Wizarding World of Harry Potter mastermind J.K. Rowling.

"J.K. Rowling created an awe-inspiring universe that has captivated people of all ages, taking us on an extraordinary magical journey. Warner Bros. is so proud to be the cinematic home of the Wizarding World and is excited about the future of the ‘Fantastic Beasts’ franchise. We look forward to bringing the third chapter of the five-film series to audiences around the globe in November 2021." said Ron Sanders, President of Worldwide Theatrical Distribution and Home Entertainment, in a statement following the announcement.

Toby Emmerich, Chairman of Warner Bros. Pictures added, "We are incredibly excited about and have confidence in the ‘Fantastic Beasts’ series. We all believe this release date will give the filmmakers time and space to allow their artistry to truly flourish and deliver the best possible film to our fans."

The Six Billion Dollar Man Movie With Mark Wahlberg Is Back On!

It feels like a Six Million Dollar Man movie starring Mark Wahlberg has been in the works for six million years. In that time directors have come and gone, as have producers and release dates, but now a new director is on board who could get the film back on track.

That director is Travis Knight, who is coming off the critically acclaimed but financially disappointing  Bumblebee. Variety reports he’s boarded the big-screen adaptation of the TV show about a secret agent who gains superhuman abilities when he’s upgraded with bionic parts. And though the character, originally played by Lee Majors, was worth $6 million in the 1970s, inflation has upped that number by 1,000 percent. Wahlberg will be The Six Billion Dollar Man.

As recently as last year, the film had a summer 2020 release date, but that was quietly taken off the table at some point. “It’s a matter of finding the right director,” Wahlberg told Screenrant in November. “We’ve been close many times...It’s one of those things where you have to keep pushing, you have to keep plugging away, and eventually, it’ll come together, and hopefully, we’ll be in a situation where I find myself making the best possible version of the movie.”

It seems that Knight, who also directed Kubo and the Two Strings and runs Laika, is that director. If he gets to work soon, a 2021 release seems possible.

Disney Says Star Wars Movies Are Going on Hiatus After Episode IX

 
Later this year, Star Wars: Episode IX will wrap up the new trilogy and the entire Skywalker Saga. It may also be the last Star Wars movie for a few years. During a new interview with Bloomberg, Disney CEO Bob Iger said the franchise is going on a “hiatus.”

“We have not announced any specific plans for movies thereafter,” said Iger. “There are movies in development, but we have not announced them…We will take a pause, some time, and reset…Because the Skywalker saga comes to an end with this ninth movie. There will be other Stars Wars movies, but there will be a bit of a hiatus.”

Disney’s move is likely a response to the lackluster box office of Solo: A Star Wars Story. At the time, Disney and Lucasfilm envisioned a release schedule that would have ensured at least one Star Wars movie per year. However, the short gap between The Last Jedi and Solo may have negatively impacted the latter. The Last Jedi director, Rian Johnson, is still developing a new trilogy. Game of Thrones‘s David Benioff and Dan Weiss are also developing Star Wars movies.

Despite the break, Star Wars will have a heavy presence on Disney+ when it launches on November 12. The Mandalorian live-action series is expected to be available at launch, and a Cassian Andor series will follow in 2021. Additionally, there will be a new season of Star Wars: The Clone Wars, and all of the Star Wars movies will eventually be on Disney+ as well.